Choose Experience, Dedication and Excellence
JONATHAN M. FRANTZ, MD, FACS
Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Two-Year Fellowship-Trained Refractive Surgeon
Cataract & LASIK Specialist
- Vanderbilt University
Magna cum laude
- University of Miami Medical School
- Louisiana State University Eye Center
- Fellowship - Cornea, External Diseases
and Refractive Surgery
License: State of Florida
- Diplomate, American Board of Ophthalmology
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons
- Fellow, American College of Eye Surgeons
Awards & Honors:
- National Research Service Award,
- National Eye Institute
- Post Doctoral Research Award
- Southern Medical Association
- Principal Investigator, Autonomous
- Principal Investigator, VISX
- Named in Best Doctors in America and The Guide to America’s Top Ophthalmologists
Personal: Dr. Frantz established Florida Eye Health in 1994. The practice name was changed to Frantz EyeCare in late 2012. He is married to Jennifer and has six children.
Jonathan M. Frantz, M.D. combines his extensive experience, dedication and impressive educational background with the latest technical advances in the field of laser vision correction and cataract surgery.
A Pioneer of Cataract Surgery
- Dr. Frantz has earned wide acclaim for pioneering techniques in the successful treatment of cataracts, including the sutureless cataract method, and the NO INJECTION, NO PATCH method.
- Opened Suncoast Surgery Center in May 2000, a state-of-the art ambulatory surgery center committed to the highest standards in quality, performance and care.
- Performed the area’s first ReSTOR lens implant.
- First to bring Bladeless Laser Cataract Surgery to Southwest Florida in 2012.
A Pioneer of Laser Technology
- Served as assistant surgeon in the first Excimer Laser surgery of a sighted person in the United States
- Selected as one of only a few surgeons at one of six sites in the nation to test the Excimer Laser during the investigational phase
- Served as Principal Investigator for the FDA clinical trials evaluating the VISX Excimer Laser for treatment of low, moderate and high myopia, and astigmatism
- Served as Principal Investigator for the FDA clinical trials evaluating the Autonomous Technology Excimer Laser for the treatment of nearsightedness and astigmatism
- Performed the first Excimer Laser procedure in Florida for nearsightedness and astigmatism
- Performed the first Excimer Laser procedure in Lee County following FDA approval of the Excimer Laser
- Performed the first Excimer Laser T-PRK procedure to correct farsightedness in the United States
- Received the National Research Service Award from the National Eye Institute for Excimer Laser research
- Author of numerous papers on Laser Vision Correction in scientific journals including Ophthalmology, Archives of Ophthalmology and Journal of Refractive Surgery
- Selected one of the top VISX Star refractive surgeons in the Country
- Opened The Center for Laser Vision Correction in May 2000 with on-site VISX Star lasers in Fort Myers and Naples
- Offered first on-site VISX Star laser in Naples
- First in the area to offer CustomVue VISX Star S4 WaveScan System, Iris Registration Technology, and 100% blade-free iLASIK.